Friday, June 21, 2013

Vermont

4 states.  4 days.  1400 miles driven.  303 songs played on my iPod.  1 life changed forever.

I concluded my first round of my journey of giving with a trip to the beautiful state of Vermont.  Before I tell you what I did today, let me just say that if it's possible to fall in love with a state, I think I've found love <3

I may seriously have to quit my job and move there!  I was asked today what I would do if I was suddenly fired and wished to pursue my philanthropic interests full time.  My reply was that it wasn't something I had seriously thought about before, and I didn't really have a good answer.  I was told (in good humor) to think about it on the long car ride home.  Well, I did, and I think part of the answer would involve me moving to Vermont ;-)

Okay, let's get to business.  Today I visited the Vermont Arts Exchange in North Bennington, VT.  First let me start by saying that they have the most amazing space (including some adorable chickens and a babbling brook)!  Pictures could never do it justice, nevertheless you can enjoy those I've posted below (only a few outside shots, but you need to see it from the inside to really appreciate it).  My description of what they do also could never do them justice because there's just so much GOOD they do for their community, all with the arts!.  As I mentioned in a previous post about the place I visited in Rhode Island, it was only by visiting that I could get a sense of how truly necessary the Vermont Arts Exchange is in what it does for its community.  But I know you want to hear it from me, so let me try to sum it up as follows (I'm not sure what I'm about to write qualifies as, but I hope you enjoy it...and this is completely spontaneous!):
Pardon me kind sir, but can you tell me if that's the way to the Vermont Arts Exchange?
Yes, just down that narrow lane.
And if I may bother you for one last favor - can you tell me what exactly is an "arts exchange"?
Imagine a place where young and old - no matter their background, status, or ability - are able to explore art in all of its various forms.  Now imagine that the simple act of exploring art helps bring those people together, helps bring relief to those that are troubled, helps bring those people a sense of belonging, and offers a community much needed outreach to include all of its members.
Can one space really do all of that?
Oh yes.  That, and so much more.  Follow that path and you're about to find out.

Oh yes, I almost forgot!  What did the Vermont Arts Exchange request?  I was very happy to deliver a digital camera so that the one currently being borrowed doesn't have to be shared as much :-)





2 comments:

  1. So glad you had a chance to meet Matt and see the VAE first hand. It is indeed a jewel for our small community of North Bennington. Matt and his small staff and family have made a huge difference to this community. Thanks so much for the camera! I'm sure it will go to very good use. Hope you can visit during one of the amazing VAE Basement Series concerts which rival those in many big cities, for a fraction of the cost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely try to make it back for a concert! It was an honor meeting Matt and seeing the great work that he does. I can't wait to see what he comes up with for VAE's 20th anniversary next year :-)

      Delete