Monday, August 5, 2013

West Virginia

Today was a great day, for many reasons.

Reason #1

I was fortunate enough to meet some of the most sincere and caring people I have ever met.  They are the individuals responsible for the School of Harmony.  The School of Harmony occupies a building in Beaver, WV previously used as a public school.  In fact some of the aforementioned people whom I met today actually went to that school when it was a regular public school.  That's actually an important point because it speaks volumes to the incredible community of Beaver, WV.  But more on that later.

Today was actually the four year anniversary of the School of Harmony being open in these premises, and I was truly overjoyed and encouraged with what I saw and learned today.  They opened this place and launched this organization with a simple mission - to give the youth of their community something that would spark their imaginations, their creative spirits, and most importantly keep them away from the types of temptations that could otherwise lead them astray.  The School of Harmony also fulfills a vital need not only to the town of Beaver, WV, but also many of the surrounding communities too.  This is yet another area where music and the arts have been all but eliminated from the schools.  These kids, many of whom are also home-schooled, have no where else to go to learn and explore music and the arts.  And they come from many miles and towns away to make use of the School of Harmony (or when they don't have the means to get there, the school takes music instruction to them with their fabulous music mobile!).

Now getting back to the community of Beaver, WV.  I learned today that most of what I saw was made possible by the local community.  They donated money.  The pitched in their skills and lent a hand when help was needed.  They literally transformed an old and dilapidated building in to a truly amazing space for music, art, and now also dance.  And this is a community with strong roots - people who have lived there for generations.  These are the people who grew up there, went to school there, and then made the commitment to make their community better for their children.

So what small act of kindness did I provide?  I was told that the school was desperately in need of some bookcases.  They were previously using some cardboard bookcases that were falling apart, and were being held together by duct tape and supported by milk crates.  I was very happy to arrive and see the new bookcases I had shipped to them all set up and in use :-)

Reason #2

One of the 37 people told me that I should keep a journal of all of my trips on this journey of giving.  There are many things I will often tell this person about my trips that never make it to this blog.  So today I will actually share something with all of you.  I enjoy driving.  Well, certain types of driving, or rather types of "drives".  If you ever get the opportunity to travel on I-64W running through the mountains of VA and WV, do it (especially in the summer).  What an amazing driving experience (I also plan on traveling on Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway this week - so more amazing experiences to come)!  I think my favorite thing about it was seeing all of the butterflies cross the highway as cars sped by.  There were so many beautiful yellow and black butterflies that seemed to just float above the speeding cars without any trouble at all.  I know it sounds cliche, but watching them dance delicately by seemed to make time slow down just for that brief instance.


No comments:

Post a Comment