Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Rhode Island

I learned something today - you can research an organization online, visit their Web site, read about what they do - but when you actually visit and SEE what they do, you realize that all of what you read is probably just 20% of what they actually do.  And it's that other 80% - the little things, the small moments of inspiration - that truly forms the core of that organization and is something you can't understand or experience unless you see it for yourself.

Today I visited this wonderful organization in Rhode Island called New Urban Arts and delivered a digital camera that they requested (one of their staff members, who himself was a student at New Urban Arts over 10 years ago, is a freelance photographer who is leaving to further pursue his interests in photography - so that is leaving them short a camera).

New Urban Arts is a place where students (primarily high school) can come after school (or join summer programs) and simply explore their creativity in the arts (either through guided projects or just free form).  They have mentors who come in and help guide the students through different arts disciplines to foster their understanding, learning, and creativity.  One of the students took me on a tour of their facility.  Apart from the obvious work spaces to create various types of art, they had computers, a library, a dark room, and a silk screen room (which I really enjoyed seeing as it was new experience for me) to name a few.

There were two specific things I experienced today that I'd like to share with you.  One of those is an annual publication called FLiP.  It gives students the opportunity to actually publish their work and share that with others (e.g. donors, the community, colleges, etc.).  I am flipping through issue numbers 9 and 10 as I write this - they were kind enough to give me copies :-)

The other experience I want to share is something that makes up that other 80%.  One of the staff members shared a story with me of some students who were presented with...oh let's call it a learning opportunity.  The students were planning a trip and had to make some challenging decisions about it.  These were decisions the students never imagined having to make, yet they had a place to ask questions and learn about a life experience outside of experiencing the arts.

The point of both of these experiences I am sharing (and I will leave you this as my final thoughts) is to express how important organizations like these are to our youth, to our communities, and to the health of our society and nation.  And it's the people that run these organizations and volunteer their time who are truly remarkable for what they do!  I am humbled and inspired by those I met today.

Okay, since this was the first place I visited on my journey of giving I had a lot to say (apologies for the length).  I probably won't write as much for the others.  What can I say - I'm excited :-)



12 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great experience! I hope you DO write as much at each stop! I enjoyed learning about the organization as seen through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lenea! I'm glad you're enjoying reading these :-)

      Delete
  2. FABULOUS. I am so glad that people like those who work so hard at New Urban Arts for the kids in their community exist. They are very inspiring. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what an amazing day! You are a dynamic person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I'd say "dynamic" but thank you :-)

      Delete
  4. What a great story! "New Urban Arts" just SOUNDS like a cool place. It's wonderful to hear about the great things you've seen up close and personal. Can't wait to hear what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I can't wait to continue experiencing what happens next :-)

      Delete
  5. We appreciate your telling the story of New Urban Arts. I've been active on the board for many years and find the studio inspiring every time I walk in. Thanks for your visit, your donation, and your enthusiasm. We appreciate it all. Susan Smulyan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful beginning to a great journey! Glad it started off so positively. Onward!

    ReplyDelete