Thursday, November 1, 2012

Hurricane Sandy

Many of you have recently been asking us the following:
  1. How can we help with the relief efforts?
  2. What happened with your $500 random act of kindness?
With regards to helping out those impacted by this devastating hurricane, our personal preference is the American Red Cross.  But beyond the monetary aspect of giving, one thing there may be a greater need for is blood.  Particularly in the NY/NJ/CT area there is usually just a bare minimum amount available and it seems they are further strained due to previously scheduled blood drives having been cancelled due to the hurricane.  You can find out more about donating blood here: http://www.redcrossblood.org

If anyone has other ideas about what can be done, please feel free to share those in the comments below!

Finally, despite the recent events I thought Random Acts of Kindness month actually went very well.  At least for me personally I can say that I am much more aware of my surroundings and I pay more attention to those small moments that can lead to new beginnings.  And based on what I've heard from many of you it seems like collectively we really made a difference this month - something that I am glad to have been a part of.  Indeed something that will stay with me and make me continue with #randomactofkindness :-)

So did anyone greet me with a hello or good morning?  No, but to be honest I am not surprised (having worked in NYC for many years).  Going in to this I had thought of 2 options: either continue and see if anyone does greet me, or at the end of the month simply give it away very randomly.  Before the hurricane hit I was leaning towards the latter.  Having been confined to my house for the past week I was unable to accomplish this in time for the end of October.  But in a way now I'm almost glad (not for the circumstances but for the new opportunity) as I will now endeavor to reach someone impacted by the hurricane.

5 comments:

  1. Sadly, we will have MANY opportunities to donate between the Red Cross and DC projects from East Coast teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Citymeals-on-Wheels: http://www.citymeals.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. Volunteers for Sandy: How to Help Storm Victims (WSJ): http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2012/10/30/volunteers-for-sandy-how-to-help-storm-victims/?mod=e2tw

    ReplyDelete
  4. Call Pizza D'Amore and donate any amount to send food to the families in Breezy Point: 718-531-2333

    ReplyDelete
  5. How to Help | Sandy Recovery: http://www.wnyc.org/articles/wnyc-news/2012/oct/30/how-help-hurricane-sandy/?utm_source=sharedUrl&utm_media=metatag&utm_campaign=sharedUrl

    ReplyDelete