Tuesday, September 25, 2012

It must be fate

When you leave the bowels of the NYC subway and enter the Port Authority, there are several doors side by side and you must walk through one.  As I walked up the ramp towards the doors I passed a woman who was leading her young son with one hand while carrying a tricycle in the other.  I walked through the door on the far right and paused to see if she was behind me.  She chose the door to the left so I turned around and opened that door for her from the other side.

Now the point of this story is not to mention a random act of kindness I performed.  In fact there was nothing random about it (at least from my point of view).  To me this was just a normal thing I'm sure anyone would have done.  But what happened next made me smile.  The woman thanked me and as I turned to walk away I heard her tell her son "see that's an act of kindness...".  The rest of her words after that trailed off and I did not hear them as I was already on my way.

So as you see, since we're making October Random Acts of Kindness Month, it must be fate :-)

#randomactofkindness

3 comments:

  1. I am going make October Random Acts of Kindness in my classroom! I will let you know how it goes. I am going to use children's book Have You Filled a Bucket Today?. It tells the kids when you say/do nice things your fill peoples buckets. It also lets them know when they are not nice they are emptying someones bucket. I'll keep you posted!! Happy Tuesday!- Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I have also started "bucket filling" in my classroom this year. My students love telling me what they have done to fill someone's bucket during the day. We have a small bucket they get to place a pom pom in. When the bucket is full, we will have a popcorn party.

      Delete